What is the SIO Patient Advocate Committee (PAC):
Currently 15 members strong, the PAC is an active committee comprised of cancer survivors, patient advocates, care partners and integrative therapy providers who focus on research-informed integrative modalities and patient wellness. We are a culturally and professionally diverse group who represent the patient voice in the field of integrative oncology.
SIO Patient Advocate Task Force Mission Statement:
To construct and promote a strong and supportive community for patient advocates within the SIO that educates, expands awareness and understanding of advocacy in integrative care, and allows for professional growth and partnership with multidisciplinary oncology providers who share SIO’s priorities.
How can I get in touch with the PAC?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Attention PAC” in the subject line. We’ll respond to you promptly.
The PAC's Virtual Conference Program recommendations for patients, advocates, care partners
Everyone is welcome to attend any or all conference sessions. Below, we offer some recommendations of sessions that may be of particular interest to patients, advocates and care partners.
Friday, October 16:
- 10:20 - 11:15am - Keynote address by Dr. Otis Brawley of Johns Hopkins University, a globally-recognized expert in cancer prevention and former head of American Cancer Society, who will speak on “Disparities in COVID-19 and Health Promotion”
- 11:45am - 1:00pm - Panel Discussion: “Health Disparities in Integrative Oncology” - PAC member Desireé Walker, an accomplished patient advocate and speaker who works with SHARE Cancer Support joins this diverse panel
- 1:00 - 2:00pm - Opportunity to virtually network with other patients, advocates and care partners
- 2:00 - 3:00pm Panel Discussion: “Natural Health Products for Immune Support Amid COVID-19” - PAC member Liz Novy, registered nurse, nurse-coach, and a care partner with training and experience in functional and integrative medicine joins this conversation
Saturday, October 17:
- 9:00 - 10:00 am - Integrative Oncology Global Update Meeting - For our international (non-North American) attendees to learn more about SIO’s global initiatives
- 10:05 -10:20am - State of SIO - Find out more about our society from SIO President Dr. Ting Bao
- 11:50am - 12:50pm - Concurrent Workshops:
- Workshop 1 “What Do I Do Now? Guiding Patients Towards Healthy Lifestyle Choices,” hosted by the following: Patient Advocate Committee member and Senior Researcher for Beyond Conventional Cancer Therapies integrative cancer care information site, Laura Pole; Lorenzo Cohen, PhD, Director of the Integrative Medicine Program at MD Anderson Cancer Center; and co-founders of the Anticancer Lifestyle Program (ACLP) Meg Hirshberg, cancer survivor, and Nancy Kane, MS, RN
- or Workshop 2 “Diversity, Engagement, Access: AYAs and Integrative Therapies Across the Cancer Continuum” for those interested in adolescent and young adult cancer topics. Presenters are from Japan, Europe, UK, Middle East, and Korea. More details to follow.
- 1:15 - 2:00pm - Special session with Tony Redhouse, Navajo musician and wellness provider - Don’t miss this amazing event, which will also raise funds for Tuba City Regional Health Care Corporation, the only hospital available for cancer care within the Navajo Nation
- 2:00 - 3:00pm - Panel Discussion: “COVID and Beyond: Coping with Stress - Lifestyle Issues” - PAC member and integrative oncology program manager Sandra Wood lends her expertise to this discussion
- 3:05 - 3:20pm - Beyond COVID-19: Intro to 2021 - Find out more about our 2021 conference from Planning Committee Co-Chairs