The SIO Clinical Practice Guidelines are referenced in MedLine and are posted on the National Institutes of Health National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health website. The SIO Clinical Practice Guidelines are the only comprehensive evidence-based guidelines for incorporating complementary and integrative therapies into conventional oncology clinical practice. The published guidelines are available at no charge.
2022 Joint SIO-ASCO Clinical Practice Guidelines, Integrative Medicine for Pain Management in Oncology: Society for Integrative Oncology–ASCO Guideline.1
Clinical Tools and Resources available on ASCO here
Companion piece – 2022 Integrative Medicine for Pain Management in Oncology: Society for Integrative Oncology-ASCO Guideline Summary and Q&A, published in JCO Oncology Practice.
2017 SIO Guidelines, Clinical Practice Guidelines on the Evidence-based Use of Integrative Therapies During and After Breast Cancer Treatment.2
2014 SIO Guidelines, Clinical Practice Guidelines on the Use of Integrative Therapies as Supportive Care in Patients Treated for Breast Cancer as Supportive Care in Patients Treated for Breast Cancer.3
2013 SIO Guidelines, Complementary Therapies and Integrative Medicine in Lung Cancer: Diagnosis and Management of Lung Cancer.4
2009 SIO Guidelines, Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines for Integrative Oncology: Complementary Therapies and Botanicals..5
2007 SIO Guidelines, Complementary Therapies and Integrative Oncology in Lung Cancer: ACCP Evidence-based Clinical Practice Guidelines.6
2007 SIO Guidelines, Integrative Oncology Practice Guidelines.7
1. Mao JJ, Ismaila N, Bao T, Barton D, Ben-Arye E, Garland EL, Greenlee H, Leblanc T, Lee RT, Lopez AM, Loprinzi C, Lyman GH, MacLeod J, Master VA, Ramchandran K, Wagner LI, Walker EM, Bruner DW, Witt CM, Bruera E. Integrative Medicine for Pain Management in Oncology: Society for Integrative Oncology-ASCO Guideline. J Clin Oncol. 2022 Sep 19:JCO2201357.
2. Greenlee H, DuPont-Reyes MJ, Balneaves LG, Carlson LE, Cohen MR, Deng G, Johnson JA, Mumber M, Seely D, Zick SM, Boyce LM and Tripathy D. Clinical practice guidelines on the evidence-based use of integrative therapies during and after breast cancer treatment. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians 2017;67: 194-232.
3. Greenlee H, Balneaves L, Carlson LE, Cohen M, Deng G, Hershman D, Mumber M, Perlmutter J, Seely D, Sen A, Zick SM, Tripathy D. Clinical practice guidelines on the use of integrative therapies as supportive care in patients treated for breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst Monograph. 2014;50:346-358.
4. Deng GE, Rausch SM, Jones LW, Gulati A, Kumar NB, Greenlee H, Pietanza MC, Cassileth BR. Complementary therapies and integrative medicine in lung cancer: diagnosis and management of lung cancer, 3rd ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2013;143(5 Suppl):e420S-36S.
5. Deng GE, Frenkel M, Cohen L, Cassileth BR, Abrams DI, Capodice JL, Courneya KS, Dryden T, Hanser S, Kumar N, Labriola D, Wardell DW, Sagar S. Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines for Integrative Oncology: Complementary Therapies and Botanicals. J Soc Integr Oncol, Vol 7, No 3 (Summer), 2009: pp 85–120.
6. Cassileth BR, Deng GE, Gomez JE, Johnstone PA, Kumar N, Vickers AJ. Complementary therapies and integrative oncology in lung cancer: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition). Chest 2007;132(3 Suppl):340s-354s.
7. Deng GE, Cassileth BR, Cohen L, Gubili J, Johnstone PA, Kumar N, Vickers A. Integrative oncology practice guidelines. J Soc Integr Oncol 2007; 5: 65 – 84.