Society for Integrative Oncology
New Investigator Forum on Integrative Oncology Research Methods
Overview: The Society for Integrative Oncology (SIO) is committed to developing talented young investigators in integrative oncology with its New Investigator Forum on Integrative Oncology Research Methods. We are now accepting applications for the 2018 annual international conference that will be held in Scottsdale, October 27-29. Open to advanced doctoral students, postdoctoral trainees and junior faculty, a selected group of scholars will be chosen to meet with internationally recognized leaders in the field, and present their research for discussion and constructive feedback. The research may be in its planning stages or work in progress but not yet completed.
Purpose: Provide students, trainees and junior faculty with an opportunity to have planned research or research in progress reviewed, discussed and critiqued in a supportive environment by experienced and highly regarded integrative oncology experts who have varied clinical and scientific expertise.
Eligibility: Applicants may be: 1) doctoral students who are working on any phase of their dissertation or 2) postdoctoral trainees or faculty within their first three years of their first academic appointment or is new to integrative oncology research and working on any phase of their research project from design to analysis. Participants’ research designs may be correlative or interventional.
Description: Participants will attend a 3-hour forum in a small group setting consisting of experts and trainees/junior faculty in integrative oncology where ideas, information, feedback and guidance will be exchanged. The forum will be held the last day of the SIO Annual Meeting on Monday, October 29,, 2018 from 1:30 pm – 5:30 pm. New investigator participants will receive a waiver of the conference fee and reimbursement up to $1,500 for related travel and accommodation expenses. All expenses are subject the SIO Travel Policy and must be submitted with the SIO reimbursement form and accompanied by receipts.
There is no formal application form. Applicants are required to submit the following six items as a single pdf document to email@example.com:
- A cover page that includes the applicant’s name, status (doctoral student planning or implementing dissertation/thesis project, postdoctoral trainee, junior faculty) department, institution, mailing address, email address and phone number.
- Name, title and email address of your mentor or principal investigator with whom you are working (for doctoral students and postdocs only)
- Title of the research project
- 2-page description of the research project, double-spaced. Up to two additional pages of tables and/or figures may be included. The 2-page description should indicate the project’s current status – planned, data collection in progress, data collection complete and analysis in progress, etc. The description should conclude a summary of one or more project-specific methodological issues for discussion at the forum.
- A curriculum vitae
- A half page personal statement stating why the investigator is interested in integrative medicine research and why this project is important to the investigator.
Application deadline: Extended to June 15, 2018
Successful applicants will be notified in July.